Zoosk, the the online dating website and app, recently surveyed over 3,000 women, and asked them to list their top online dating tips for men.
In a post published to its blog called The Date Mix, Zoosk lists some 33 quick-hit type tips. We trimmed them down to 15 and placed them into two buckets: Dos and Don’ts.
- Make sure your eyes are visible in your profile picture. (No sunglasses.)
- Smile! (Women find it odd that so many men have pictures where they are pouting or trying to look tough.)
- Use a good, recent photo.
- Be honest about your past and current situation in life.
- When communicating, say something! Don’t keep sending emojis.
- Start a general conversation and go from there.
- Talk and chat like you’re hanging out with a friend at first.
- Don’t just say hi, personalize your message at least a little. You don’t have to write a novel, but a couple of sentences so that I know you’re aren’t just fishing helps a lot.
- Don’t text or email excessively. Exchange a few messages then ask about meeting. Coffee or a drink is best.
- Don’t have pictures of your cars or other trophies in your profile pictures.
- Don’t ever ask for more photos. It’s a turn off.
- Don’t talk too much about yourself at first. Ask about her.
- Don’t start out by calling a woman sweetie or beautiful. Until you get to know someone that comes off as cheesy.
- Don’t ever walk away from a conversation even if it’s online. Just tell her you have to go and talk later.
- Don’t use the word drama in your profile. Life is full of ups and downs—that’s what gives life color and depth. Using that word makes the assumption that women are the only ones that are involved in drama.
- Don’t look at a woman’s dating profile a million times and say nothing. Even hi is good if you’re at a loss for what to say.